FAQ of KNU
Where was KNU formed? Who?
Karen National Association (KNA) led by Dr. T. Than Pya and Sir. Saw San C Po in 1881, the Democratic Karen Buddhist Association Buddhist Karen National Association (BKNA) led by Sayadaw U Wana Wan Tha and Saw Mya Thein led in 1940, Karen Central Organization (KCO) led by Saw Thar Din in 1943 and Karen Youth Karen Youth Organization (KYO) led by Saw Tun Sein and Mahn Ba Khine in 1945 and local representative leader had organized to formed Karen National Union (KNU) on 5 of February 1947 at Yangon.
What is a KNU Vision?
Karen is filled with characteristics of as a nation, also has to access the dignity and peaceful, having the full rights of independent, and modern development.
What are the KNU Objectives?
KNU Objectives are;
1. To gain the rights of equality and self-determination for the Karen people;
2. To establish the Karen state with a just and fair territory and self- determination;
3. To establish the Federal Union based on democracy and self-determination;
4. To gain basic rights, democracy and equality for the Karen people and all ethnic nationalities of Burma.
What are the KNU Basic Principles?
The basic principles of the Karen Revolution are followed according to President Saw Ba U Gyi's Four Principles;
1. For us surrender is out of question.
2. We shall retain our arms.
3. The recognition of Karen State must be completed.
4. We shall decide our own political destiny.
What is a KNU Goal?
The goal of the Karen National Union is to gain the Rights of equality and self-determination among the different ethnic groups from each state, while building a genuine Union. The responsibility of Karen National Union is to build unity for a genuine Federal Union through the cooperation of all Karen People gaining prosperity in ethnic solidarity, peace and stability.
Back to Home
What are KNU holding of the values.
KNU Values are; Stability, Peace, Unity, Liberty, Honesty, Hospitality, Prosperity, Culture Identity, Equality, Rights to self-determination, Freedom and Democracy.