Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement Signing Ceremony Completed Successfully
15th Oct 2015
On the 15th October 2015 a delegation from the Karen National Union participated at the Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement (NCA) signing ceremony in Naypyidaw, Burma/Myanmar.
The KNU delegation was led by KNU Chairman General Saw Mutu Sae Poe and included KNU General Secretary P’doh Saw Kwe Htoo Win, KNLA General Office Commanding General Saw Jonny, KNU Head of Defense Department Lt. Col Saw Roger Khin, KNU Central Executive Committee Member P’doh Saw Tha Mein Htun, KNLA Quarter Master General Lt. General Saw Isaac Po, Kler Lwee Htoo District Chairman P’doh Saw Hser Gay, Dooplaya District Chairman P’doh Shwe Maung, Mergui-Tavoy District Chairman P’doh Saw Beler, KNLA Brigade 3 Commander Maj. General Saw Eh K’Lu Thein.
KNU Special Invitees included the following:
- P’doh Saw Lay Law Hsaw (KNU Deputy Judicial 2)
- General Saw Kyaw Lin (KNU Brigade 1 Commander)
- P’doh Saw Hser Bwer (CIDKP)
- P’doh Saw Eh K’Lu Say (KNU Justice Department)
- Saw Pwe Say (Karen Refugee Committee Secretary)
- Saw Paw Doh (KNU Brigade 7 representative)
- Saw Joshua (Brigade 6 Operation Commander)
- Saw Mu Ker (Brigade 4 Operation Commander)
- Major Yan Naing (Security Officer to KNU Chairman)
- Saw Tamula (PSO to KNU Chairman)
- Saw Htee Wah (Umpiem Camp Commander)
- P’doh Saw Tah Doh Moo (KNU Central Executive Committee Member)
- P’doh Mahn Nyein Maung (KNU Central Executive Committee Member)
- Major Saw Shee Sho (Head of Liaison Office – Hpa-an)
- Saw Mar Gay Gyi (Myanmar Baptist Convention)
The Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement (NCA), which has been negotiated for over two years between the state government (UPWC) and ethnic armed groups (NCCT), was successfully signed at MICC, Room (2), Naypyitaw on the 15th October 2015.
The signing ceremony started at 9:00 am and followed the sequence below:
- The State Government President U Thein Sein gave an opening speech.
- The KNU’s Chairperson General Saw Mutu Sae Poe, representative to the delegations of the ethnic armed groups, gave the next speech.
- A documentary film related to the peace process was shown.
- The president of the state government and leaders from ethnic organisations as well as international and local witnesses completed the official signing of the NCA.
For the signing process, there were eight delegations presented from the government side, including President U Thein Sein, Vice President Dr. Sai Mauk Kham, U Nyan Win, U Thura Shwe Mann, Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, Commander in Chief of Defense Forces, Lieutenant Gen. Soe Win and U Aung Min, Minister of Union Peace-Building Process signed the ceasefire agreement.
A total of 24 ethnic leaders from 8 ethnic armed groups signed the ceasefire agreement. The delegations of these groups included the KNU Chairman Gen. Saw Mutu Sae Poe, KNLA GOC Gen. Saw Jonny, KNU Gen. Secretary P’doh Saw Kwe Htoo Win along with Major Gen. Saw Lah Pweh, Gen. Saw Moe Shay and Major Saw Sein Win from the Democratic Karen Benevolence Army (DKBA). Other signatories were Pu Zing Cung, General Secretary of Chin National Front (CNF), Daw Saw Myat Yar Zar from Arakan State Liberation Party (ALP), General Yawd Serk and Colonel Sai Latt from Shan State Army/Restoration Council of the Shan State (SSA/RCSS).
- Minister U Aung Min from Union Peacemaking Work Committee (UPWC) and KNU’s General Secretary P’doh Saw Kwe Htoo Win read out the Executive Summary of the NCA.
- Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement documents were exchanged.
- Closing announcements were followed by the closing ceremony.
The NCA signing ceremony ended at 10.45am local time.
As per the NCA it was agreed that following the signing there must be a Joint Implementation and Coordinating Meeting (JICM). In order to implement this article, the President, along with his signatory cabinet members officially opened the meeting. The 8 signatory Ethnic Armed Organisation representatives attended the JICM meeting.
Joint Implementation and Coordinating Meeting
16-17th October 2015
On the 16th and 17th October representatives from the 8 signatory Ethnic Armed Organisations met with the Burmese government representatives to continue the JICM.
KNU delegates included P’doh Saw Kwe Win, P’doh Saw Tah Doh Moo and supporting them were Gen. Saw Isaac, Maj. Gen Saw Eh K’lu Thein, Major Saw Tamla Thaw, P’doh Saw Eh K’lu Say and Saw Taw Nee.
The meeting resulted in the Burmese government and the ethnic armed groups forming two joint committees that will implement the Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement (NCA) following its signing on the 15th October 2015.
The two joint committees are the Joint Ceasefire Monitoring Committee (JMC), which will focus on preventing the recurrence of armed clashes, and the Union Peace Dialogue Joint Committee (UPDJC), which will facilitate political dialogue.
Both sides also agreed to seek ways of involving the remaining armed groups that have not signed the NCA.
The two sides agreed to meet again in mid-November and the first JMC meeting will be on the 29-31st October 2015 in Rangoon. The two sides are set to draw up a political framework within 60 days after the formal NCA signing and start the political dialogue within 90 days.
Multi-Stakeholders Meeting for Political Dialogue Framework
19 Oct 2015
The inclusive political dialogue framework meeting was attended by delegations of union of state government’s militaries, Karen National Union (KNU), Karen National Union/Karen Nation Liberated Army (Peace Council), Democratic Karen Benevolent Army (DKBA), All Burma Student Democratic Front (ABSDF), Pa-Oh National Liberation Organisation (PNLO), Chin National Front (CNF), Restoration Council of Shan State (RCSS), and leaders from Arakan Liberation Party (ALP). Political parties including NLD, (Technical Support Team BAYDA Institute), Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP), United Nationalities Alliance (UNA), 56 political parties members, PPIC, National Democratic Front (NDF) and leaders from NUP, technical teams (MPC, EBO, PI) who participated in the meeting.
KNU General Secretary P’doh Saw Kwe Htoo Win, Dooplaya District Chairman and Central Standing Committee Member P’doh Shwe Maung, Kler Lwee Htoo District Chairman and Central Committee Member P’doh Saw Hser Gay and Military and Political Affairs Advisor to the KNU Chairman Col Saw Htoo Htoo Lay represented the KNU at the meeting.